Custody & Visitation

Protecting The Interest of Children

When children are involved in divorce, protecting them and their interests is one of the most significant concerns. Attorney Guy Fullan has been practicing law since 1988. His extensive experience in family law cases will help you get the best possible outcome in your case.

Child Custody Options

Coming to an agreement with your spouse for your parental rights can often be difficult, but remember that you are acting for the sake of your children. If no agreement can be reached then the Court will determine the custodial arrangements.

The State of Alabama recognizes various types of custodial arrangements following a divorce. There can be sole custody and joint custody.

"Sole custody" is when one parent makes all the key decisions such as health, education, general welfare and religion affecting the child, and it means that the child primarily lives with one parent and the other parent has visitation rights. This parent awarded custody is referred to as the "custodian" and the other is considered the "non-custodial" parent.

"Joint Custody" can be broken down in either Joint Legal Custody or Joint Physical Custody. Joint Legal Custody relates to the decision making process and can include tie breakers on various aspects of a child’s life in the event the parents cannot jointly make a decision on a particular issue in the future. Joint Physical custody generally relates to each parents custodial times and schedule with the child.

While the Court may consider joint custody, the ultimate issue is what is in the child’s best interest.

Creating a well thought out parenting plan/schedule is a key element and an experienced attorney can make this process much easier. Attorney Guy Fullan has created many of these plans over his 25 plus years of practice.

Get The Help You Need Today

If you're facing the difficult situation of a child custody related family issue you need the informed and experienced counsel of a lawyer who will guide you through the process. In Birmingham, Alabama, get in touch with attorney Guy Fullan by using our online form or by calling our office at 205-208-7710.